Quick Oat Dosa
Originating from South India, dosas are savory Indian pancakes that are a delicious accompaniment to masala, sambar, or chutney. Here is Chef Ipshita's go-to dosa recipe!
Ingredients for Dosa Batter (Makes 8 - 12 servings):
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup of rice flour
- ¼ cup semolina
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 Thai green chili (optional if you like your food spicy)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut, grated
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4oz buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee, for cooking
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
Directions for making Batter:
- In a bowl stir in oat flour, rice flour, semolina & buttermilk.
- Slowly add 1 cup water to the bowl and stir well. The batter should feel smooth to touch.
- Add ginger, green chili, cilantro, coconut, spices, and salt. Save diced onions for later use.
- Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining water if the mix feels thick, consistency should be thin so it pours easily.
Directions for making Dosas:
- On a medium flame, heat a nonstick pan.
- Before ladling batter, spread ½ teaspoon ghee with the back of the spoon.
- Once the pan is hot, sprinkle finely diced onions on the pan.
- Stir batter well before ladling, pour it from the outside of the pan to the center.
- Do not spread the batter, fill the gaps with some batter.
- Spread some ghee on the side till dosa becomes golden, ghee will help it easily leave the pan.
- Flip and cook the other side and repeat process till batter is finished.
- Serve dosa with your favorite chutney.
Note: Picture Credit: Veg Recipes of India.